Feb 8, 2013
Mercedes-Benz has carefully revised the interior of the E-Class in such a way that, together with the expressive, modern exterior, it forms a harmonious unit.
The new, two-part trim on the dashboard is what first catches the eye: it stretches across the entire width of the interior and as such visually underscores the generous sense of space. It is bordered by a high-quality silver chrome frame and, in conjunction with all of the high-quality materials available for the trim, creates a consistent overall look. Choices available include fine woods (high-gloss light brown burr walnut, open-pore brown ash) or a new aluminium variant with textured grain. All of the materials can be freely selected, irrespective of the equipment line.
Other eye-catching elements include the instrument cluster and high-gloss framed central display. In the standard and ELEGANCE line models, the instrument cluster features black backplates, while the AVANTGARDE line models have silver backplates. A new design for the air vents, an analogue clock between the two central air vents as well as redesigned controls beneath the head unit all serve to highlight the overall high-quality feel of the interior of the new E-Class. Precise joints and carefully defined curves also make a contribution in this respect too.
An enhanced sense of perceived quality also comes courtesy of the surfaces in the interior of the new E-Class. In all equipment variants they feature a fine grain which boasts a high-quality look and feel and is not only elegant to look at but also easy to clean. As an option, the dashboard and beltline can also be finished in ARTICO man-made leather.
Contributing to the harmonious and at the same time functional appeal of the interior is the redesigned centre console. In conjunction with the automatic transmission, besides the controller for the infotainment system there is also no longer a selector lever positioned here. Instead, the automatic transmission is operated via the DIRECT SELECT lever and shift paddles on the new multifunction steering wheel. In the horizontal part of the centre console there is therefore plenty of space for stowage facilities. The controls are clearly arranged and generously designed in silver chrome.
- Depending on the line and equipment, drivers have a choice of four variants of the multifunction steering wheel: the standard and ELEGANCE line models feature a 4-spoke multifunction steering wheel, finished in nappa leather with two silver-chrome inserts
- The AVANTGARDE line provides a sporty three-spoke multifunction steering wheel as standard, finished in nappa leather with perforated inserts and thumbrests, twelve trapezoid buttons and two silver-chrome inserts on the lower spoke
- The AMG Sports package includes a 3-spoke AMG sports steering wheel finished in nappa leather with perforated inserts and thumb-rests, flattened bottom section and twelve trapezoid buttons as well as two silver-chrome inserts on the lower spoke
- In conjunction with the Exclusive package, the new E-Class is fitted with a wood/leather multifunction steering wheel, which can also be ordered as an optional extra for other model variants
The steering column benefits from an extended, generous adjustment range. It can be individually positioned by plus/minus 25 mm in terms of height, as well as 15 mm forwards and 35 mm backwards in terms of length.
The new interior colours "silk beige", "espresso brown", "crystal grey" and "porcelain" provide a whole host of individual, modern design options for the interior in the colour combinations crystal grey/black, reef grey/crystal grey, silk beige/espresso brown, silk beige/black or porcelain/black. An additional strikingly colourful highlight is also offered by the ambient lighting for the ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE lines. Its colour tone can be set individually based on three variants - neutral, solar and polar. The standard version comes with single-tone ambient lighting.
The colour of the door linings is matched to the interior, and two different materials are available for the linings:
- ARTICO man-made leather is used in the case of the appointment variants fabric, fabric in combination with ARTICO man-made-leather, and also in conjunction with leather appointments with vertical topstitching
- nappa leather with vertical topstitching is combined with appointments in nappa leather
Additional design features of the door linings include:
- generously sized trim element beneath the beltline, which is finished at the top with trim in silver chrome
- door opener in silver chrome, as well as silver-chrome surround for the controls for electric seat adjustment, in conjunction with the Memory package
- armrest with silver-chrome trim, the shape of which underscores the sweeping lines of the armrest
- door pocket with large stowage space
Attractive, ergonomic seats
The seats of the new E-Cass each feature a different look, depending on the material used:
- seats in fabric and ARTICO man-made leather have transverse piping
- seats in leather and nappa leather have longitudinal piping
In both cases, the padded piping not only fulfils a number of ergonomic requirements but at the same time its contouring helps to enhance the high-class appeal. The taut bolsters on the armrests and seat cushions help to ensure secure lateral support.
The driver's seat and front passenger seat can be electrically adjusted for height, backrest angle and seat cushion angle.
As an alternative to the ergonomically conceived and stylishly designed standard appointments, the following seat variants are also available as an option and offer additional functions as well as even higher levels of comfort:
- the Multicontour Seat package for driver and front passenger provides even more individual adjustment options and is recommended by the AGR, or "Aktion Gesunder Rücken" (healthy back campaign)
- the Active Multicontour Seat package for driver and front passenger promotes a dynamic style of seating thanks to a massage function. These seats can be individually adjusted and controlled via the head unit, and are also recommended by the AGR
Additional comfort functions are also offered by the Memory package for driver and front passenger, which individually stores the settings for the fully power-adjustable front seats, front headrests, steering column and exterior mirrors for each user and enables them to be automatically called up again. Also available are heated seats with three-stage adjustment via the controller and head unit display, as well as climatised seats for driver and front passenger offering active seat ventilation.
Generous rear seats
The spacious rear seats provide room for three occupants as standard in the form of a bench seat with three rear headrests, an armrest with stowage compartment and twin cup holder as well as ISOFIX child seat anchor points on the outer seats, with additional anchor points above on the rear seat backrest.
The following optional extras for the rear seats are also available for both the new E-Class Saloon and Estate:
- the Rear Seat Comfort package with two luxury individual seats in leather, NECK-PRO luxury head restraints, seat heating and Sun Protection package for exclusive, comfortable travel in the rear (not for Estate)
- the EASY-PACK Quickfold system, with rear seat backrests which fold in the ratio 1/3 to 2/3, and through-loading feature and also six load-securing points in the luggage compartment
- heated seats in the rear (in conjunction with leather appointments)
- rear seats with integrated child seats, including side headrest
- ski bag