Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewActive safety: Clever co-pilotsChoice of ten engine/transmission combinations now available: Automatic driving enjoymentDrive system: Ten versions for driving enjoyment and efficiencyExterior design: Unmistakably smartInterior design: Easy-going and charmingPassive safety: Safety comes from experienceSpace efficiency: Ultra compact on the outside, spacious insideSuspension: A focus on comfortThe model range: Every smart is uniqueUnder the microscope: loading - Affordable solutions for better drivingUnder the microscope: new smart cross connect app - Multimedia buddyUnder the microscope: “real-life safety" philosophy: Crash test against an S-ClassUnder the microscope: smart road assistance - Insurance package included
Jun 30, 2015
Three equipment lines, seven packages and a wealth of optional items, some of which were previously the reserve of higher segments: every smart fortwo or smart forfour therefore becomes unique and tailored to personal taste. New practical items of equipment will shortly be available for the smart fortwo and smart forfour. Comprehensive smartphone integration is also being introduced by means of MirrorLink®.
Even in the entry-level version the smart fortwo and smart forfour come with an extensive scope of safety and comfort equipment. This includes the Direct-Steer system, LED daytime driving lights, central locking with radio remote control, visual locking-verification signal and immobiliser, cruise control with limiter (variable speed limitation), exterior temperature indicator with frost warning, instrument cluster with monochrome LCD display and trip computer, and electric windows.
The equipment lines: stylish, elegant and innovative
passion, prime and proxy are the names of the three lines which upgrade the smart fortwo and smart forfour and provide for visual differentiation, particularly in the interior. The equipment lines are available for all engine/transmission combinations with the exception of the 45 kW basic engine. The most important features at a glance:
- The passion line is very stylish and modern with a choice of colour combinations in black/orange, black/white or black/grey for the interior. The multifunction steering wheel in leather and the instrument cluster with a 3.5-inch colour display combine a high-quality ambience with functionality.
- Features such as black leather seats with grey topstitching, a multifunction steering wheel and shift lever knob in leather give the interior of the prime line an elegant and classic look. The standard scope of equipment includes heated seats for the driver and front passenger.
- The proxy line defines itself as an innovative trendsetter. Highlights are the panoramic roof and the seats in leather look and white/blue fabric. The Cool & Audio package provides for plenty of entertainment and a pleasant climate, whilst the standard Sports package with 16-inch alloy wheels is perfect for dynamic motoring.
The packages: practical equipment combinations
smart has combined various comfort and safety features in seven practical packages:
- Black wheel arch linings and a lowered chassis are the key features of the Urban Style package.Building on the respective lines, it underscores the car's dynamism on both a technical and a visual level. Lowering the vehicle by ten millimetres results in a lower centre of gravity, for even better roadholding. Black wheel arch linings with smart lettering emphasize the wide track and lend the smart an even sportier appearance. Another characteristic feature is the exhaust system with chrome-plated tailpipe trim. The interior details include the 3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel in leather and the sports pedals in brushed stainless steel. The Urban Style package is available in conjunction with the passion and prime equipment lines; the black wheel arch linings are also available separately as optional items for the proxy line.
- The Comfort package offers the right seated position for every driver. The driver's seat and steering column are height adjustable, the door mirrors are electrically adjustable. For the smart forfour, the Comfort package additionally includes height-adjustable seat belts in the front.
- The Cool & Audio package provides the desired temperature at all times, great sound, telephony and navigation. The automatic climate control includes an integral combined filter which almost completely eliminates pollen and fine dust. The Audio-System includes Bluetooth® telephony and – in combination with the free smart cross connect app – navigation. The Cool & Audio package comes as standard with proxy; in combination with the 45 kW engine it includes manual air conditioning.
- The Cool & Media package with automatic climate control and combined filter guarantees a cool head in clean air without pollen. The smart Media-System comes up trumps with the 17.8 cm (7-inch) multi-touch display which supports swiping gestures and quick navigation including traffic information in real time. This package is available in conjunction with passion, prime and proxy and the optional extra "electric door mirrors"
- The LED & Sensor package comprises headlamps with welcome function and daytime driving lights featuring LED fibre optic technology, LED tail lamps and front fog lamps. The rain and light sensor combines comfort and safety, activating the windscreen wipers and headlamps as necessary. This package is available in conjunction with passion, prime and proxy.
- Based on the respective lines, the Sports package underscores the car's dynamism on both a technical and visual level. Lowering the vehicle by 10 millimetres lowers the centre of gravity for even better roadholding. The Sports package is a standard feature of the proxy line and is available as an option for passion and prime.
- The Stowage Space package comprises practical stowage facilities in the guise of the "lockable glove compartment" and the "stowage net on the centre console in the front passenger footwell". It is available for the passion and prime lines and features as standard for proxy.
The multimedia systems: varied range of infotainment
smart is introducing comprehensive smartphone integration by means of the MirrorLink® infotainment system. This enables compatible smartphones to be integrated into the vehicle and smartphone content to be presented on the display of the smart fortwo and smart forfour. MirrorLink® will feature as standard in future in combination with the smart Media-System.
MirrorLink® currently supports the apps MIROAMER® (internet radio and music entertainment), Audioteka® (audiobooks) and COYOTE® (community-based real-time traffic information). Further apps are to follow. MirrorLink® is a standard developed by a consortium of vehicle and IT companies which is based on a standardised interface for transmitting display content and commands. Devices and apps are certified.
The multimedia systems meet the highest standards, with real-time navigation, intuitive operation with touchscreen and up to twelve loudspeakers. Here are the most important details:
- The smart Audio-System incorporates a radio, digital playback options and comprehensive smartphone integration. It has an FM or AM tuner plus an even wider choice of stations with the optional digital radio. The Audio-System also includes a USB and AUX port for external audio devices such as a USB stick or an MP3 player. Audio streaming allows music tracks stored on a smartphone to be played back via a Bluetooth® connection. This wireless connection also allows a hands-free kit to be used, meaning that the driver's hands always remain safely on the steering wheel when on the phone. A wide range of infotainment options completes the smart cross connect app (see separate section in this press kit). The smart Audio-System is now also available separately.
- The smart Media-System is controlled intuitively with the high-resolution 17.8 cm (7-inch) multi-touch display with swiping gestures or via voice input. A further highlight is the navigation system with real-time traffic service and up-to-the-minute traffic jam avoidance (three years inclusive). The system uses web-based services here that are transferred by a permanently installed SIM card. These live services can initially be used free of charge for three years. They include weather information for any place and effective Points-of-Interest search with an extensive database. Pictures and videos can be transferred from a USB stick or an SD card. What's more, the music of your choice can be played via Bluetooth® from a smartphone or via AUX interface. Telephony with the hands-free system is also possible via the Bluetooth® connection
- The JBL sound system develops impressive sound volume and incorporates a 6-channel DSP amplifier (240 watts) in the fortwo and an 8-channel DSP amplifier (320 watts) on board the forfour. A total of eight (fortwo) or twelve (forfour) high-performance loudspeakers provide for outstanding sound quality: one wideband centre loudspeaker, two tweeters in the mirror triangle, two lower mid-range speakers in the doors (on the forfour additionally in the rear doors), two wideband rear-fill loudspeakers and a woofer on the left-hand side of the luggage compartment. The woofer is simple to remove without needing tools, should more space be required in the luggage compartment.
New optional items: heat-insulating tinted glass and tablet holder
A new convenience feature for the smart fortwo and smart forfour is the stowage net on the centre console in the front passenger footwell. This is perfect for quickly stowing away items such as small bottles or magazines. It features as standard in conjunction with the proxy equipment line and with the Stowage Space package.
For the smart forfour the rear side windows and the rear window are available in heat-insulating dark-tinted glass as a new option. This protects the rear passengers from prying eyes and direct sunlight. At the same time, the dark tint accentuates the vehicle's sportiness.
Other new items available for this model are a tablet holder for the Rear Seat Entertainment System and a corresponding pre-installation. The latter consists of a slot integrated in the driver and front passenger seat backrests. The pre-installation features as standard on board the prime and proxy lines and is available as an option for the passion. The tablet holder is designed for the iPad Air. The fitted device is both ergonomic and safe, and can be removed from the backrests of the front seats at any time.