Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewADAPTIVE BRAKE: Brakes with added valueAdaptive brake lights: Effective warning of rear-end collisionsAt a glance: The E-Class model rangeAt a glance: The E-Class model update measuresDIRECT CONTROL: Synergy of comfort and dynamismE 63 AMG: The most powerful E-Class of all timeEngines: Even more driving pleasure in all output classesIntelligent Light System: The right light for every driving situationModel range: New GenerationSafety: The benchmark in the premium segmentTechnical data E-ClassThe new generation E-Class: more dynamic, safer, more powerful and even better value-for-moneyTradition: Setting trends for many decades
Apr 12, 2006
- Range: largest and most varied model range
- Design: new front end with a sporty, muscular character
- Standard appointments: more Mercedes for the same price
- Individuality: choice of three lines and two sports packages
Innovation, individuality, dynamism, economy and quality – these have always been the characteristic attributes of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and now they are being reinforced. From summer 2006 this model series will offer even more top-class technology, even more dynamic driving pleasure and even more extensive appointments. All in all, around 2000 components of the Saloon and Estate have been newly developed or improved by Mercedes-Benz, therefore this really is a new generation of the E-Class.
With a total of 29 model variants, Mercedes-Benz offers the world’s largest and most varied model range in the upper medium class. Three autonomous design and equipment lines, two sports packages, five interior and eleven exterior colours, the exclusive designo range and more than 70 innovative extras offer unprecedented scope for individualisation. Making each individual E-Class a valuable one-off. The new generation E-Class has:
- 16 Saloons powered by petrol, diesel and natural gas engines. The range of engine outputs extends from 100 kW/136 hp in the E 200 CDI to 378 kW/514 hp in the E 63 AMG. Five engine variants are also optionally available with 4MATIC four-wheel drive, among them two diesel models.
- 13 Estates with petrol and diesel engines whose output ranges from 125 kW/170 hp to 378 kW/514 hp.
Front-end design: muscular, self-assured appearance
The newly designed front-end design reflects typical attributes of the new generation E-Class: dynamism, performance and serenity. These are e.g. accentuated by the pronounced V-shape of the bumper and radiator grille, which epitomises power and forward motion. The louvred radiator grille is a good three centimetres higher, enhancing these attributes and emphasising the self-assured appearance of these models even more than before. The Mercedes trademark, the world-famous star, has been repositioned to the upper chrome frame of the radiator grille, where it is even more prominent as an identifying feature.
The striking twin-headlamp face remains the defining feature of the front end, however a deeper look into these beautiful "eyes" reveals a new styling effect which further enhances the overall appearance: horizontal louvres divide the upper section of the main headlamps, acting together with other design features to emphasise the width of the front end for a more dominant, muscular impression. When the headlamps are switched on, these louvres draw attention to themselves in another way: they are transparent, and create an interesting lighting effect which lends additional style to the twin headlamp design.
The same applies to the smaller "eyes" in the front end of the E-Class. If the vehicle is equipped with bi-xenon headlamps, the newly developed LED parking lights are brilliant white for an additional eye-catching effect.
Mercedes designers have also restyled the lower section of the bumper cladding and the foglamps to achieve further visual effects. Two prominent bars flowing harmoniously from the contour of the bumper divide the lower air intake and act together with the oval foglamps to contribute a further dynamic aspect to the appearance of the new generation E-Class.
Side and rear aspects: dynamic lines and a powerful finish
Mercedes-Benz has now enhanced the side view with the side skirts familiar from the sporty AVANTGARDE styling. The exterior mirror housings are another example of a pleasing form and perfect function, as their single-axis design is visually more attractive. Changes to the Estate include redesigned roof rails and the roof-mounted aerial, which are now closer to the centre.
Like the side skirts, all models in the new generation E-Class now have a rear bumper in the AVANTGARDE design, thereby accentuating the dynamic aspect of the overall appearance even more at the rear. The chrome strip on the boot lid of the Saloon is now longer, achieving an impression of more width which lends a more powerful appearance to the rear end.
The redesigned rear lights appear larger and more dominant by virtue of lenses in dark-tinted clear glass. The transparent lens of the third brake light allows a view of its up-to-date LED technology; in the Estate this LED strip extends almost across the entire width of the restyled roof spoiler for an even better warning effect.
Interior: new colours, upholsteries and materials
Mercedes-Benz has upgraded the interior of the E-Class with great attention to detail. All models now have a redesigned four-spoke steering wheel with attractive, elliptical function keys and a new control unit for the standard THERMATIC automatic climate control system, which now has a clearly laid-out information display. The interior colours and fabric patterns have also been newly coordinated.
Standard appointments: significantly more value at no extra cost
Mercedes-Benz has significantly upgraded the already extensive standard appointments to offer its customers further benefits in terms of safety and comfort. All the models in the new generation E-Class are now equipped with the preventive occupant protection system PRE-SAFE®, which is able to activate protective measures even before an impending accident, and flashing brake lights as an effective warning to prevent rear-end collisions. Another new standard feature is the tyre pressure loss warning system, which informs the driver with a message in the cockpit display if the air pressure in a tyre falls rapidly. The standard rain sensor now hast wo additional, manually adjustable sensitivity settings, and the Estate has a transversely divided load compartment floor with two opening flaps and high-quality chrome handles.
Mercedes engineers have also improved and reconfigured the steering, front axle and gearshift linkage as part of the standard DIRECT CONTROL package, which means that the Saloon and Estate now have even more agile handling with no compromise in terms of comfort.
The E-Class models are powered by up-to-date four, six and eight-cylinder engines. Two of the V8-engines are new developments with an up to 26-percent increase in output; Mercedes-Benz has also developed the two four-cylinder diesel engines further, achieving an increase of up to 18 percent in both output and torque.
Despite these extensive additional appointments and technical improvements, the prices of the four and six-cylinder models remain unchanged. In other words, the new generation E-Class offers even more Mercedes for the same money.
Lines: individuality ex factory
With the three design and equipment lines, Mercedes-Benz continues to meet the wishes of many customers who seek to give their car a personal look. The lines are called CLASSIC, ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE, and they accurately describe the different characters of the model variants, which are distinguished by the following design features:
- In the CLASSIC line, the new generation E-Class possesses all the quality attributes typical of a Mercedes – especially where safety and comfort are concerned. The characteristics of this line include redesigned light-alloy wheels, a radiator grille with grey-painted louvres, foglamps with black surrounds, light-alloy wheels in a seven-spoke design and rubbing strips painted in the vehicle colour. Eucalyptus wood trim ensures a cosy atmosphere in the interior.
- The ELEGANCE line lives up to its name with an even more exclusive appearance. The exterior is elegantly enhanced with discreet chrome inserts in the bumpers, rubbing strips and door handles, as well as a radiator grille painted in atlas grey. The light-alloy wheels are in an eleven-spoke design. In the interior this model variant is distinguished by brown burr walnut trim and chrome instrument surrounds, as well as by a new leather/wood shift lever and a leather-covered steering wheel.
- The name AVANTGARDE stands for Mercedes models with a particular styling emphasis: youthful, dynamic, progressive and highly individual. The E-Class demonstrates these attributes with bi-xenon headlamps, black-painted louvres in the radiator grille, 17-inch light-alloy wheels in a five twin-spoke design and LED brake lights as standard, while the interior features a leather-covered steering wheel, a leather/aluminium shift lever and seat upholstery in an interesting material mix of fabric and man-made ARTICO leather. If leather upholstery is specified, the AVANTGARDE interior is now available in two-tone black/sahara beige or black/cognac brown in addition to black and grey, and with a black roof lining.
Sports package: exclusivity on 18-inch wheels
In addition to the design and equipment lines, two sports packages offer further opportunities to equip the Saloon and Estate according to personal taste and reinforce the dynamic character of the E-Class even further. The packages contain highly desirable features which are not available individually. These include high-sheen 18-inch light-alloy wheels in a ten twin-spoke design, wide-base tyres in size 245/40 R 18 (front) and 265/35 R 18 (rear), perforated brake discs, a four-spoke steering wheel with integral gearshift paddles (if an automatic transmission is specified), sports seats in ARTICO with contrasting, light-coloured decorative seams and a sports suspension with speed-dependent parameter steering and the body lowered by 15 millimetres.
The AMG sports package, which is available in conjunction with all lines, also includes AMG-Styling, AMG tailpipes, 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels, an AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel with integral gearshift paddles and AMG floor mats.
Optional extras: Mercedes high-tech for safe, stress-free driving
The attribute of individuality is closely linked to innovation at Mercedes-Benz. With a unique range of innovative comfort and support systems, customers are able to tailor the E-Class even more specifically to their personal wishes and requirements.
The choice includes Mercedes innovations such as the Intelligent Light System combined with bi-xenon headlamps, DISTRONIC proximity cruise control, AIRMATIC DC air suspension, bi-xenon headlamps, the 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission, THERMOTRONIC four-zone climate control, PARKTRONIC, COMAND APS, a surround-sound system, a panoramic sliding sunroof, dynamic multicontour seats and a tyre pressure monitoring system. All in all, the list of optional extras for the E-Class contains more than 70 innovative and valuable options.
designo: exclusive appointments as a package
With the designo range, Mercedes-Benz offers further individual paint finishes, interior colours and items of trim for even more exclusive tastes. For the ELEGANCE and AVANTGARDE lines in the new generation E-Class, for example, there is a choice of twelve designo paint finishes (metallic) and single or two-tone leather upholstery in nine colours. Wood trim in maple grain, designo umbra, cinnamora designo matte red-brown, poplar brown designo and burr walnut provides further highlights in the interior. The roof lining is black if one of the designo leather interiors is specified.
The two designo packages which Mercedes-Benz has developed for the Saloons in the new generation E-Class are particularly interesting. These include various exclusive features at a favourable all-in price. The price advantage for the customer is around 1100 Euro:
- designo Edition I contains interior trim in poplar designo brown and a roof lining in anthracite alcantara. The seats and centre door panels are lined in fine designo leather in a sand tone. The black fitted carpets are edged in leather.
- designo Edition II contains wood trim in cinnamora designo matte red-brown and an anthracite-coloured roof lining in alcantara. Mercedes designers have chosen the designo leather in corteccia for the seats and centre door panels. This package is likewise rounded off by black fitted carpets with leather edging.