Nov 17, 2014
Captivating thanks to precision, emotionally appealing thanks to a loving attention to detail: the stylish, exclusive interior of the Mercedes-AMG GT combines sheer enthusiasm for sport with a sense of the very special. The extensive standard appointments, high level of day-to-day suitability, exemplary safety and first-class entertainment make every kilometre in the AMG sports car a sheer pleasure. Numerous options enable the driver to enhance sportiness, exclusivity and individuality according to their very own personal tastes.
The exclusive look and feel inside the GT is created by precisely engaging rotary controls and buttons, first-class materials and attractive colour combinations. In short: the outstanding impression of value quickly conveys the feeling of driving a unique sports car.
On opening the door, the driver is welcomed by the AMG start-up screen: An animated GT appears on the multifunction display of the instrument cluster, and "winks" with its headlamps. In addition AMG lettering appears in the central display on the dashboard. The sportily designed cockpit in carbon-fibre look provides information with two classic dial instruments in a 2-tube look, with a 320 km/h speedometer scale. The rev counter reading up to 8000 rpm also features AMG lettering. When the ignition is switched on, the needles of the speedometer and rev counter spin to their final position and back, accompanied by red LEDs.
The main menu is shown in high-resolution colour in the central multifunction display. The digital speed and currently engaged gear are continuously shown here. The driver also has a variety of AMG menus available which can be activated using the steering wheel buttons:
- Warm-up: Charge pressure display, engine oil temperature, transmission fluid temperature
- Set-up: Engine, suspension, transmission, performance exhaust system, 3-stage ESP®
- RACETIMER: Lap time, lap history
If the driver has selected manual transmission mode "M" or "Momentary M mode", an upshift indicator appears at the upper edge of the multifunction display. Eight white/yellow/red LEDs and the shift gate with an upward-pointing arrow indicate that a gear change is required – a particularly helpful feature in manual transmission mode. The relevant AMG DYNAMIC SELECT icon is visible on the left.
Performance steering wheel and AMG DRIVE UNIT
The performance steering wheel with its three-spoke design sits perfectly in the hand: it comes with aluminium shift paddles, 12-o'clock marking, a perforated grip area and a rim in black nappa leather with flattened lower section. The sports seats in ARTICO man-made leather/black fabric with integral head restraints and AMG lettering provide optimised lateral support when driving dynamically.
The DYNAMIC SELECT Controller, the buttons for the engine start, the 3-stage ESP® and, depending on the specified equipment, the electronic damper control are located on the left in the AMG DRIVE UNIT. The volume control as well as the buttons for the manual transmission drive mode, the ECO start/stop function and, likewise depending on the equipment, the selectable exhaust system are fitted on the right-hand side. By nudging the AMG E-SELECT lever in the centre, the driver is able to change between the transmission settings P, R, N and D extremely rapidly. When the car is stationary, the parking position is easily activated by pressing the "P" button. This takes place automatically when the engine is switched off. The innovative, optional touchpad in the handrest above the COMAND Controller is integrated in front of the E-SELECT lever to operate the dual clutch transmission.
A free-standing central display is located centrally above the four ventilation outlets. The display boasts a screen diagonal of 17.78 centimetres (7 inches), increasing to 21.33 centimetres (8.4 inches) if COMAND Online is specified. The driver operates the seat heating, PARKTRONIC, the hazard warning lights and, where specified, the extendable rear aerofoil using the buttons in the top control panel in the roof frame.
The GT S comes with even more sophisticated equipment and appointments, including:
- Instrument cluster with 360-km/h speedometer scale and red colour highlights
- Performance steering wheel, black nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre
- AMG emblem embossed in the centre armrest (not in conjunction with upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/black DINAMICA microfibre)
- Upholstery in ARTICO man-made leather/black DINAMICA microfibre
Trim in matt silver fibreglass or in black diamond
As an alternative to the standard-fit Interior Silver Chrome package, the customer can choose from various other packages. Carbon-fibre trim elements are available in a choice of matt and high-gloss finish. Highlights include the trim in matt silver fibreglass and the Interior Black Diamond package, all offered for the first time: here the ventilation outlets, the frame of the centre console and the trim strips in the door armrests come in a sophisticated high-gloss black finish, with its surprising 3D look. The "Black Diamond" surface effect is achieved by a process known as CVD (Chemical Vapour Deposition). In this process, precious metals and carbon in a plasma are vapour-deposited to a previously applied, high-gloss chrome-plated surface at temperatures around 1000 degrees Celsius. This creates a diamond-like layer with very high adhesive strength and scratch-resistance.
AMG performance seats and Exclusive STYLE nappa leather
AMG performance seats are optionally available for both models. By virtue of special side bolsters on the seat surfaces and backrests, these offer the occupants even better lateral support and lend the interior a distinctive, sporty character with their appearance – also thanks to the AMG badges and attractive trim in the backrests. In conjunction with leather upholstery and the Memory package, electric width adjustment for the side bolsters on the seat cushions and backrests, and also 4-way lumbar support adjustment for the driver and passenger, are part of the package. In addition, the trim in the backrest is in silver chrome rather than black.
If the particularly luxurious Exclusive STYLE nappa leather upholstery is ordered, an option only available with AMG performance seats, the seat surfaces and door centre panels are in saddle brown nappa leather with diamond-pattern stitching. There is also brown leather on the side panels of the centre console, the armrest cover in the centre console and the lower section of the dashboard including the glove compartment lid. Features also include indirect lighting on the sides of the centre console and the designo headlining in black DINAMICA microfibre.
The combination of Exclusive nappa leather and black DINAMICA microfibre gives the interior an extremely sporty look. This upholstery is available in three versions, with contrasting topstitching in yellow, grey or red.
Features in black nappa leather:
- seat side bolsters and head restraints
- armrest cover in the centre console
- door beltlines
- upper section of dashboard
Features in black DINAMICA microfibre:
- lower section of dashboard including glove compartment lid
- seat centre sections
- side panels of the centre console
- door centre panels
- headlining in black DINAMICA microfibre
- AMG performance steering wheel with rim all in DINAMICA, contrasting topstitching and black 12 o'clock marking
- indirect lighting on the sides of the centre console
Day-to-day suitability and high level of long-distance comfort
The superb everyday practicality of the Mercedes-AMG GT is also expressed in the airy feeling of spaciousness. In addition, the good all-round visibility and the high headroom demonstrate that sporty dynamism and comfort on long journeys are not mutually exclusive – not necessarily a given in this segment. A large compartment in the centre armrest, a centrally located double cupholder, a large, easily accessible glove compartment and parcel nets in the passenger footwell and on the left behind the seat further confirm the day-to-day practicality of the GT.
The luggage compartment capacity of 350 litres will hold two golf bags either lengthways or crossways. The large boot lid makes for convenient loading, and an integrated load compartment cover is standard. The cross strut made of aluminium behind the seats prevents luggage from sliding forward as the vehicle brakes.
Overview of the extensive standard equipment (selection):
- 3-point seat belts with belt tensioners and belt force limiters
- Audio 20 USB multimedia system
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE
- Adaptive flashing brake lights
- Automatic child seat recognition
- ATTENTION ASSIST
- COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS
- Electric parking brake
- Front airbags for driver and passenger
- KEYLESS-GO start function
- Load compartment cover
- LED High Performance headlamps
- Lithium-ion battery
- THERMOTRONIC automatic air conditioning with 2 climate zones
- Kneebags for driver and passenger
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC variable speed limiter
- Thorax/pelvis sidebags for driver and passenger
- Windowbags for driver and passenger
The GT and GT S can be configured to individual taste with numerous optional extras (selection):
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist
- AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package including dynamic engine and transmission mounts, specific engine application, tauter suspension setup, greater negative camber at the front axle, adapted speed-sensitive sport steering, performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfibre and yellow highlights in the instrument cluster (GT S only)
- AMG RIDE CONTROL sport suspension with adjustable damper system (GT only)
- AMG solarbeam paintwork
- Burmester® surround sound system
- Burmester® high-end surround sound system
- Exterior Carbon-Fibre package including front splitter in the front apron, exterior mirror housings, fins in the wings, carbon-fibre diffuser in the rear apron and diamond grille in black with louvre in high-gloss black
- COMAND Online
- designo headlining in black DINAMICA microfibre
- designo bright paint finish, magno or metallic
- Digital radio (DAB)
- DISTRONIC PLUS intelligent cruise control including COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS and Stop&Go function (available from 3rd quarter of 2015)
- Door sill panels in carbon-fibre
- Door sill panels in brushed stainless steel with AMG lettering, illuminated in white
- Ceramic composite high-performance braking system
- KEYLESS-GO package
- Convenience telephony
- Media Interface cable kit
- Memory package including driver and passenger seats, steering column and electrically adjustable exterior mirrors with memory function, 4-way lumbar support for driver and passenger, PRE-SAFE® positioning function for passenger seat
- Engine cover in carbon-fibre
- Exterior Night package including front splitter in the front apron, louvre in the diamond grille, fins in the wings, exterior mirror housings and trim strip in the rear apron diffuser in high-gloss black. Rear window and quarterlights of tinted heat-insulating glass, black exhaust tailpipes
- Variable performance exhaust system (optional for GT, standard for GT S)
- 3-spoke performance steering wheel in black nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre, flattened lower section, with silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles and 12 o'clock marking (optional for GT, standard for GT S)
- Performance seats for driver and passenger, with more heavily contoured seat for enhanced lateral support, integral head restraints and AMG badges in the backrests
- Nappa leather upholstery, one colour or two-tone
- Exclusive nappa leather upholstery, one colour or two-tone
- Upholstery in Exclusive nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre
- Exclusive STYLE nappa leather upholstery with diamond-pattern stitching
- PRE-SAFE® system with reversible belt tensioners for driver and passenger seats, closing function for power windows
- Reversing camera with dynamic guide lines on the display
- Seat belts in red or silver
- Exterior Silver Chrome package including front splitter in the front apron, fins in the wings, silver chrome trim strip in the diffuser and diamond grille with pins in chrome
- Sports tyres only in conjunction with AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package (GT S only)
- Lane Tracking package including Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot Assist
- Luggage compartment strut in carbon-fibre, matt carbon-fibre or matt silver fibreglass
- Blind Spot Assist
- Partition net for luggage compartment separation and occupant protection
- Traffic Sign Assist (included in COMAND Online)
- Exclusive Trim package
The two different Burmester® sound systems are very special highlights in the range of options:
Completely newly developed exclusively for the GT, the Burmester® high-end surround sound system guarantees a listening experience previously unattained in the sports car sector. Specially designed high-end speakers, the 11-channel Burmester amplifier with a system output of 1000 watts and exclusive analogue and digital technology features, together with a specific architecture in the bodyshell, produce the extraordinarily expressive and crisp Burmester sound. Thanks to sophisticated virtual noise compensation (VNC), the sound is also maintained as driving noise increases, guaranteeing the greatest possible listening pleasure – whether on the motorway or in town.
Specific "VIP settings" make it possible to generate the sound individually for the driver or passenger. It is only with these "VIP settings" that the sound performance, focus and depth achieved by home systems becomes possible as the mark of a high-end sound system. The occupants have a choice of four individual sound settings to suit personal taste:
- "Pure": for a natural sound interpretation as intended by the artist, with nothing added to the music
- "Easy Listening": for a slightly milder sound background suitable for long journeys
- "Live": for a decidedly dynamic sound akin to a live performance
- "Surround": for an embracing sound reproduction beyond the vehicle's dimensions, with a particularly high concert-hall quality for classical music and live recordings, and without changing the tonality
Other special features of the Burmester® high-end surround sound system:
- Ring radiator tweeter: This tweeter derived from the Burmester home audio sector has an annular membrane, and impresses with its delicate reproduction in the high frequency range
- Combination of a Class A/B and Class D amplifier: While analogue technology ensures the best possible detailed reproduction in the medium and treble ranges, the digital part of the amplifier masters the highest dynamic peaks despite its compact dimensions - with low power consumption
- Integrated digital sound processor: with over 3200 parameters
- Use of digital and analogue filters: Burmester combines the flexibility of digital filters with the sound quality of analogue filters. The result is the greatest possible resolution and fine detail, combined with impressive pulse response
- Sophisticated noise compensation (VNC): This function maintains the sound quality as driving noise increases, guaranteeing the best possible music enjoyment – whether on the motorway or in town
- Design: To ensure that this Burmester high-end sound system is not only outstanding in its sound reproduction, but also in visual terms, the tweeters in the dashboard and the mid-range speakers in the doors are in keeping with the interior design. The plasma-coated stainless steel speaker grilles are in silver chrome, those in the doors featuring the familiar, engraved "Burmester High End" lettering
The Burmester® surround sound system available as an alternative consists of ten speakers and a low-consumption Class D 10-channel amplifier with 640 watts and an integrated DSP. Perfectly configured for the GT models, this amplifier and speaker concept is responsible for the first-class Burmester sound, while the selectable surround mode ensures a top-class surround-sound listening experience. The surround function generates a virtual surround-sound from a mono or stereo music signal to maximise the spatial effect. Thanks to sophisticated noise compensation, the sound quality is maintained even as driving noise increases.
System-specific speaker grilles heighten the exclusivity: the mid-range speakers in the doors feature acoustically optimised expanded-mesh grilles and "Burmester" lettering. The surrounds of the speaker grilles are in silver chrome.
Sporty and extraordinary: the Mercedes-AMG GT S "Edition 1"
The "Edition 1" is a particularly sporty Mercedes-AMG GT S: the extraordinary composition of the sporty exterior and interior details create a head-turning spectacle.
- Aerodynamic package in black (larger front splitter with smooth transition to the flics on the side air intakes of the front apron, wheel arch flics at the front, dynamic black trim on the side sill panels, fixed rear aerofoil)
- Carbon-fibre roof
- Exterior Night package (diamond grille in black with louvre in high-gloss black, fins in the front wings in high-gloss black, exterior mirror housings in high-gloss black, trim strip in the diffuser insert in high-gloss black, triangular side windows and rear window in heat-insulating tinted glass (country-specific), black tailpipes)
- 10-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in black with a high-sheen finish, tyres in size 265/35 R 19 on 9 x 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 on 11 x 20 (rear)
The pure racetrack feel also dominates the interior:
- Black nappa leather interior with red contrasting topstitching
- Performance seats with integral belt guide in black nappa leather/DINAMICA microfibre with red contrasting topstitching
- Interior Black Diamond package
- Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfibre with flattened lower section, 12-o'clock marking, red contrasting topstitching, steering wheel bezel in silver chrome with "Edition 1" lettering and silver-coloured aluminium shift paddles