Mar 2, 2010
- Visual and aerodynamic individualisation
- Detachable body parts based on intelligent "add-on principle"
- High quality with Mercedes-Benz warranty
- Sporty chassis and suspension modifications
Mercedes-Benz is unveiling a portfolio of elegantly sporty individualisation products under the MercedesSport label at the Geneva Motor Show. MercedesSport products include special light-alloy wheels and sports suspension as well as detachable body parts to enhance a car's aerodynamics or looks. These retrofittable solutions emphasise the sportiness of the car and add individual, elegant touches. All of the MercedesSport products are developed by Mercedes‑Benz Accessories GmbH in collaboration with the designers and engineers who are responsible for the standard-production models, thus ensuring that the high standards of the sophisticated design idiom and the Mercedes‑Benz quality criteria (that go way beyond the usual standards) are met. The result: each product appears to have been cast from a single mould. What's more, the products represent excellent value for money on account of their intelligent design. MercedesSport items will initially be available for the E-Class.
In order to meet the demand for individualisation accessories with a sporty look and fulfil vehicle manufacturer quality requirements, Mercedes-Benz Accessories GmbH will in future be offering a high-quality product portfolio under the newly formed MercedesSport label. This means that every Mercedes-Benz customer will be able to have their car retrofitted with further individualisation options and parts designed to ensure even sportier handling qualities.
Highlights of the MercedesSport range :
- Intelligently designed front aprons, spoiler lips and side skirt attachments – for an elegantly sporty look. In contrast to conventional accessories, the MercedesSport components are based on an intelligent "add-on principle", which means that the original parts on the car do not need to be exchanged
- Rear and roof spoilers, a rear apron panel styled like a diffuser and fog lamp surrounds are available as options to enhance the package of precisely matched visual and aerodynamic measures for the exterior
- Distinctive eighteen-inch light-alloy wheels featuring trendy 'bicolour' styling. These wheels have black painted sections and sections with a high-sheen finish as well as displaying the MercedesSport logo. They are further enhanced and protected by a clear coat
- Sporty suspensionwith noticeably stiffer dampers and torsion-bar stabilisers as well as shorter springs to lower the car by up to 15 millimetres. This sports suspension kit ensures more direct, sportier handling without compromising on comfort
- A sports braking system with perforated brake discs and grey callipers displaying the Mercedes-Benz logo – for outstanding deceleration and a sporty look
- An easy-grip four-spoke sports steering wheel in perforated leather with silver-coloured contrasting stitching, optionally available with shift paddles and a heating function. It adds to the sporty aura of the cockpit
- Stainless-steel pedals, white-illuminated stainless-steel door sills displaying the MercedesSport logo, and black velour floor mats with border and silver-coloured contrasting stitching, which likewise display the MercedesSport logo, are further eye-catching interior features
MercedesSport components differ from existing vehicle individualisation packages on the market in three respects:
- They are designed in accordance with strict Mercedes-Benz quality criteria. They are based on the knowledge and experience gained from developing the standard car as well as on the original car's computer data, enabling an extremely precise fit, for example. All parts are tested for reliability, durability and function in computer simulations and road tests. In addition to this, the aerodynamic components are tested in the wind tunnel as well as being put through their paces for handling dynamics – including on high-speed tracks. Because MercedesSport parts meet the most exacting of requirements, they come with an original Mercedes-Benz warranty
- The intelligent design based on the "add-on principle" means that none of the existing parts have to be removed or exchanged. The original bumpers and side skirts, for example, remain on the vehicle and are supplemented by the MercedesSport parts. All of which means a more sparing use of resources and lower costs – in return for the same or an even better result in terms of both visual effect and function
- The designers who design the standard car are also responsible for MercedesSport styling. The add-on components emphasise the character of the car and fit in seamlessly with the high-end design idiom of the Mercedes‑Benz brand. Light-catching contours and taut surfaces exude sportiness and reinforce the confident aura of the car
MercedesSport will initially be available for the E-Class family (Saloon, Estate, Coupé, Cabriolet) and then for other model series. MercedesSport items are available from authorised Mercedes-Benz outlets and can be fitted there by qualified personnel.
Mercedes-Benz Accessories GmbH – a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler AG – is responsible for the development, selection and marketing of genuine accessories and Collection products for the Mercedes-Benz, Maybach, AMG and smart brands. The product range includes accessories in various categories – refinement, telematics, complete wheels & tyres, protection & preservation, rack systems, comfort, safety and detachable body parts – as well as Collection products for merchandising and licences. The company employs over 200 people and is based in Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany.