The GLE is equipped with the latest generation of the multimedia system MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience. As standard the enhancements include two large 12.3-inch/31.2 cm screens arranged next to each other for a sublime widescreen look. The information of the instrument cluster and media display is easily legible on the large, high-resolution screens. An emotive presentation with brilliant graphics underlines the comprehensibility of the intuitive control structure. MBUX Interior Assist is a completely new feature (see separate section).
Depending on mood or to suit the chosen interior, the user has a choice of four different styles:
- Modern Classic is a further development of the classic display style in an elegant and light material mix.
- Sport has a high-tech turbine look with decidedly sporty black/yellow contrasts.
- Progressive presents digitality in reduced form.
- In the Discreet style, all displays are reduced to the absolutely necessary.
General MBUX operation has been improved in numerous respects. For example, the settings menus are in a new design and the initial setup assistant has been improved. The 40 or so new MBUX functions in the GLE include
- Support for off-road specific driving modes (free-driving mode and individual wheel actuation),
- Extended off-road displays in the instrument cluster and head-up display (linear and lateral inclination, Torque on Demand, vehicle level). The off-road-specific displays can also be consolidated as a special screen in the central display,
- The setting for the full-screen map in the instrument cluster can be changed directly there,
- ENERGIZING COACH,
- ADAPT driver's seat adjustment: if the body size is entered, the seat automatically moves to a generally suitable position,
- Extension of online functions: for example, "In-car office" can now read out emails and have them dictated,
- integration of online music (TIDAL) in Europe,
- Extended range of apps, e.g. specific functions in the individual regions. Online music is available via the provider Kuwo in China, for example. Extensive information about points of interest (POIs) is made available by Baidu Wiki in China.
A unique feature of MBUX - Mercedes-Benz User Experience is its learning capability thanks to artificial intelligence. With its predictive functions, MBUX e.g. anticipates what the user would like next. For instance, anyone who often telephones their mother on Tuesdays during the journey home will receive her telephone number as a suggestion in the display on this day of the week. Anyone who regularly switches over to a radio station with news at a certain time also receives this as a suggestion.
Augmented reality: additional navigation assistance
Other strengths include touchscreen control of the media display as standard and the use of augmented reality technology for the navigation display when the navigation function is active: a video image of the surroundings is enhanced with helpful navigation information, for example arrows or house numbers are automatically superimposed directly onto the image in the media display. This makes it easier for the driver to search for a certain house number, or to find the correct side road for turning off. The intelligent voice control with natural language comprehension has also been improved, and is e.g. activated by the keyword "Hey Mercedes". Much more complex commands and questions are now understood, initially in the three top languages Mandarin, US English and German.