The basic functions of the systems in the Driving Assistance Package included as standard can be found here. The following are key highlights, often only available as part of the Driving Assistance Package Plus (included in the Advanced Package Plus, Premium Package or Premium Plus Package).
Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC
On all types of roads – motorways, country roads or in town – this intelligent system can automatically maintain a preset distance from vehicles ahead. Special features are the
- Predictive speed regulation ahead of speed limits
- Reaction at a driving speed of up to 100 km/h to stationary vehicles on the road
- Selection of DISTRONIC dynamics in MBUX, independently of DYNAMIC SELECT
- Adjustment of set speed and acceleration for maximum range
- With the navigation with Electric Intelligence (see separate chapter), the charging status at the destination or also at the intermediate charging point can be specified if desired when route guidance is activated. Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC then adjusts the acceleration behaviour and, if necessary, the cruising speed to meet this specification.
- Also new is the adjustment of the set speed at rest areas to 50 km/h.
Active Steering Assist
This helps the driver to follow the driving lane at speeds up to 210 km/h. Special features are
- Lane detection at low speeds additionally with 360° camera
- Significantly improved availability and performance on bends on country roads
- Improved lane centring on motorways
- Situation-specific off-centred driving (e.g. forming an emergency lane, but also following the road edge on country roads with no centre marking)
Traffic Sign Assist
In addition to conventionally signposted speed limits, this recognises overhead gantries and signs at roadworks. This includes warnings about running a stop sign and a red light.
Active Lane Keeping Assist
In a speed range of 60 to 250 km/h, Active Lane Keeping Assist uses a camera to detect when road markings or road edges are crossed, helping the driver to avoid leaving the driving lane unintentionally. The system also intervenes if there is a danger of collision with detected road users in the adjacent lane, e.g. with overtaking or oncoming vehicles. Special features are
- The reaction to detected lane edges, e.g. a grass shoulder
- Particularly intuitive steering intervention
- Adjustment of sensitivity via a menu (early, medium, late)
- The addition of Active Ambient Lighting, DIGITAL LIGHT and the Augmented Reality Head-up Display to the hazard warning system
Active Lane Change Assist
Active Lane Change Assist cooperatively assists the driver of the EQS when changing to an adjacent lane. A lane change to the right or left is only assisted if the sensors detect that the adjacent lane is separated from the present lane by interrupted lane markings, and no other vehicles are recognised in the relevant danger zone. In conjunction with DIGITAL LIGHT, an intuitive lighting scenario is also created at night.
Active Emergency Stop Assist
Active Emergency Stop Assist brakes the vehicle to a standstill in its own lane if it recognises that the driver is no longer responding to the traffic situation for a longer period. As part of the standard Active Lane Keeping Assist, this works even if Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC with Steering Assist is not switched on. Other features:
- Belt tensioning and braking impulse as a final signal of impending braking action
- Optional single lane change (at 80 km/h, no obstacles in adjacent lane)
This system included as standard is able to recognise typical signs of drowsiness and driver inattention, and displays a warning message prompting him/her to take a break. The additional micro-sleep warning is a new feature. It analyses the driver's eyelid movements through a camera on the driver's display (only in conjunction with MBUX Hyperscreen). The micro-sleep warning function is already active from a speed of 20 km/h.
Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function
Active Brake Assist uses the on-board sensors to register whether there is a risk of collision with vehicles travelling ahead, crossing or oncoming. The system can give the driver a visual and acoustic warning if a collision appears imminent. If the driver's braking response is too weak, the system can also assist by increasing the brake pressure as the situation demands, and also initiate autonomous emergency braking if the driver fails to respond. Special features are the turning function when starting off (including crossing pedestrians when turning), the cross-traffic function on interurban routes (up to 120 km/h) and the warning and braking for oncoming traffic.
Active Blind Spot Assist and exit warning function
Active Blind Spot Assist can give a visual warning - and if the indicators are operated also an audible warning - of potential lateral collisions in a speed range from around 10 to 200 km/h. If the driver ignores the warnings and still initiates a lane-change, the system can take corrective action by one-sided braking intervention at the last moment if the speed exceeds 30 km/h. When the vehicle is stationary, the exit warning function can warn against exiting because a vehicle (also bicycles) is passing within the critical area. This function is available at standstill and up to three minutes after the start switch has been turned off. In addition, the hazard display is supplemented with the aid of Active Ambient Lighting (also with the vehicle exit warning). Thanks to the cameras of MBUX Interior Assist, a danger warning can be given even if the driver or front passenger merely move a hand towards the door handle.
Evasive Steering Assist
Evasive Steering Assist can assist the driver when seeking to avoid another road user detected by the system in a critical situation. In the new EQS, in addition to standing and crossing pedestrians, pedestrians and vehicles as well as cyclists along the route are also taken into account. The speed range goes up to 110 km/h, support is also provided on country routes.